Friday, March 23, 2007

Weird time of life

Today I turned in my first professional application. Cover letter, resume, references, all of it. Suddenly life is becoming life, and not just preparation. I'm looking at Admissions, a two-year commitment here in Marion. Steve is committed to Chicago, and is talking to some of the best marketing firms in the world. Zack and I are both looking at journals, books, publications of any sort to try to get published in. And I might write a book. College is over.

A professor, who is becoming a friend, approached me and asked me to think and pray about writing a book. I remember someone once told me before (during a group project for Contemporary Lit) that I should write about my life, and I always thought maybe, maybe someday, but not now. That seems so ambitious for me, far too ambitious for where I am at. I have no idea to write a book.

Mary Brown says you write it one page at a time, just like you run a marathon: one foot in front of the other. She says if I can write a page, I can write a book. But how do I write something that will make people care?

New friends, roommates, passions, jobs, houses, everything. It's all changing so suddenly, and I feel like I'm living someone else's clothes - clothes I haven't quite grown into yet.

2 comments:

Joel Liechty said...

I like your writing style. Maybe someday I will be able to write with that ease. Until then, choppiness is mine. I'm going to enjoy your blog!

Varnado said...

Pat, if you wrote a book 1) it would become a best seller overnight and 2) I would buy it!