Thursday, February 26, 2009

On Writing a Novel, Entry #8

Well, trying to do what I failed at last night. First priority, staying awake with functional cognition. Second priority, painting a beautiful tension between Sammy and Lydia, a tension of distances intimacy, a convenience of time, place, and loneliness, and a two-sided fear floating them like repelling magnets.

On a far less literary subject, I am absolutely loony with distraction, as in 43 minutes the NFL free agency season officially begins. Of course, I do not expect the Bears to be active immediately, if even within the weekend. But still...what if?

So: first writing, then reading as a reward.

Oh, and back onto a literary subject: I received Kenny's book in the mail today. Somehow I ordered it from a British shop selling a book printed in America by an American author. Odd. That book has as many stamps on its passport as I do.

First I am going to read his book of short stories. I read a few before, but never read through the whole thing. That is my first order of business. My second is to read his novel. And my third is to leach off any useful information he can provide me regarding publishing, the pursuit of an agent, the cynical yet necessary financial consideration, and, of course, just some catching up. It has been too long, with so many of my high school friendships that I've let slip away. I must get better at that.

I must also get better at my faithfulness to Sammy and Lydia, and the others in Cedar Fort and Axtell.

No comments: